This trip allows you to see the ‘best’ bits of the Kepler Track in one day. Join us on a leisurely guided trip that will guide you into wonderful scenic views of Lake Manapouri, and includes all transport you need, and a morning tea.
- Depart 8.30am from your Te Anau accommodation
- Travel the road from Te Anau to Manapouri where we start the hike from Rainbow Reach, which is just 9 kilometres from Te Anau.
- A short toilet stop before we cross the famous Waiau River that flows from Lake Te Anau to Lake Manapouri using a substantial suspension bridge. The track is a gentle, undulating and an easy part of the famous Kepler Track.
- The hike takes you through beech forest and an amazing variety of native ferns. Your guide will make stops along the way to talk about the fauna etc and answer any questions that you may have.
- We get river views and our guide will point out some Lord of the Rings film locations. We will get to the shores of Lake Manapouri where we will stop for our famous morning tea break with tea/coffee/juice and fresh made date scones. Toilets are available at this point.
- We may continue our walk to a higher point beside the Iris Burn River where there is amazing views of Mount Titiroa (1715 metres) and Lake Manapouri at a better vantage point.
- A lunch stop will be part of the return walk where a short visit to Shallow Bay will be included if time permits. Toilet stops at both the Moturau and Shallow Bay with be available.
- Our return to Te Anau will depend on your fitness and just how much time you want to spend in our largest national park (Fiordland National Park)
- Fitness level required is slight to medium